“Honest criticism means nothing:
what one wants is unrestrained passion,
fire for fire.”
I’m bringing back White Tiger. Some writers have been hoping this would happen. There are a few changes.
I focus on substantive editing—that is working with you on the substance of your work, rather than copy editing that helps a writer polish their work. I have worked in various types of editing and publishing jobs, but this is where my greater strength lies. This type of editing is best for books that are not quite ready, and you need insight that’s not a pat on the head of “Nice book” by a relative, or friend, and also beyond that of a writer’s group. When you know that it could be so much more and you’re stuck.
Substantive Editing: $3/page, standard manuscript format.
If your document is not SMF, there will be an additional charge for me to get it into shape. I like working with new writers, including people who don’t know what SMF is. I like being a guide, and I don’t have a problem getting a manuscript into the format still standard in the industry.
For more information you can use this handy contact form here, though sometimes the form doesn’t get into my inbox readily. I do check my server, which is the only place I’ve actually ever seen any “web inquiry” mail, but not on a daily basis. I find messages far more quickly through facebook.
One on One Writer’s Retreat: This is a retreat with a writer who spends her day writing, and editing other people’s work, and who has been part of the industry in various small ways. Write me and Inquire. It can include Substantive Editing, a structured format, or just writing space, and lots of writing chat. I can be a guide for the new to the writing world, or a companion. Meals included. Current pricing is introductory, and can be tailored to your experience.
For more information use this handy contact form here, though sometimes the form doesn’t get into my inbox readily, and sometimes gets lost with the spam. For far easier access: Feel free to find me on facebook.
Other editors to contact, who do copy editing. Let them know I sent you.
Lorin Oberwerger, Free Expressions. She helps run seminars, is a published author, and a well respected editor.
Laura Ownby of Red Pen Reviews. She’s the person I use for my books. http://redpenreviews.blogspot.com/p/editing.html
of my past work
David Henry, March 20, 2008. “Wow, I just finished reading and starting to implement your changes on chapter 4 and am absolutely delighted; you clearly know how to deftly wield both a scalpel and a chainsaw. This was a chapter that clearly needed a fair bit of both…. I knew I was happy with ch 3; it almost wrote itself, but you managed to find places to improve….I’m happy I stumbled into contact with you.”J
John Cothran, December 4, 2006 “In regard to editing and proofing, I must say you are the best person I worked with on the book…You are a fantastic editor! I really enjoyed working ith you, you are so thoughtful in all writing situations. You are a joy to work with!”
Ben Mack, author Think Two Products Ahead.” 26 October 2007
“Maria Boers Morris tackled my madness and made me more accessible. Her editing brought out a more powerful magic than I could have on my own. Furthermore, having worked now with 4 professional editors… Maria brought out the best in me. Hire her if she is available. Email me for a specific reference if I may help. Sincerely.”
Cam Cairns, fiction author. “Maria sees where the writing fails the author’s intent. Moreover, she does this in a structured way so flaws in dialog, character, plot, narration and style become obvious and accessible. Her analysis will help any committed author take their work to the next level.”
Though I’m limiting myself to just substantive editing, I thought you might like to know my experience:
In no particular order, here are some interesting books I’ve either fact checked or copy edited, or worked on in some other way.
Marshall Cavendish Benchmark
In the past several years, I’ve fact checked a number of books for Marshall Cavendish Benchmark. Since 2008, I have also been copy editing for them. Here are a few authors I’ve had the privilege to work with.
Of all the books I’ve worked on with Kathryn, the one that moved me the most was Life in the Medieval Muslim World. The book on Faith inspired mine, and the series on the whole offered me greater understanding of Muslim history.
Among the books of Rebecca’s I’ve enjoyed working on are those in theSecrets of the Supernatural series. These books were interesting series to fact check. Besides fueling my book addiction habit, the series balances critical-thinking skills with folklore:
This is a book I’m proud to have worked on. It is informative and fun. John took twenty years assembling information on artists, musicians, leaders, and writers that contributed to our great nation.
Ben is a client that always brings me interesting work and does not hesitate in challenging me. I adore working with him.
The last challenge was cutting Poker Without Cards: A Consciousness Thriller in half for an iPhone version. His books make me think, as well as inspire. He’s also a great deal of fun to talk to. Think Two Products ahead was a fun edit as well as an interesting read.
Freelance publishing professional, June 2003 – present
- Substantive edit, copy edit, proofread, fact check, indexes, and transcription.
- Research print and online references to ensure accurate information in text books.
- Follow Chicago, but will work with MLA, AP and APA styles for consistency, clarity and accuracy.
Partial list of clients and projects:
- Donna Governor, PhD. 12/2009-1/2011: Transcription: qualitative interviews for academic research; transcription and formatting for dissertation for Teaching and Learning Science through Song.
- Nevada Math and Science Leadership Cadre 1/2011: Transcription.
- Marshall Cavendish Benchmark, 2004 – 11/2010: Fact checking and copy editing. Books include Life in Ancient Egypt series; Elizabeth and Her Court series; Secrets of the Supernatural series; Life in the Medieval Muslim World series; Barbarians! series and many from the American Heroes series.
- Ben Mack, 2006 – 2008: Copy edited Think Two Products Ahead; copy edited Poker Without Cards: A Consciousness Thriller for print, then abridged for iPhone, keeping intact the plot, memetic and marketing information intrinsic to the story.
- Janet Eriksson, 2003 – 2007: Through CrickettWorks, Blessings Abundant, and Cassia Ministries: copy editing, proofreading, indexing, photo layout and creating an online bookstore. Books included Dance in the River, Choosing Love, T11 and Bail Bonds 101. Copy edited articles for Reflections online magazine.
- Individual projects include John Cothran’s A Search of African American Life, Achievement and Culture; E. Ike’s Using Quicken with High Speed; Cam Cairns’s Sentinels (working title), plus dissertations, graduate papers, and short stories.